by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It had been the film 10 years within the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty Woman made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic pair that is on-screen reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere yet again teamed up due to their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom passed on in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a tiny city woman therefore afraid of dedication that she actually is dashed through the altar 3 times therefore the jaded divorced newsprint columnist determined to see her run for the time that is fourth. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted towards the movie theater to look at set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was in fact within the works for over ten years with several other a-listers connected to star at some time, a larger blockbuster hit than Pretty Woman, that has been released in 1990.
But simply it was more successful, as Runaway Bride failed to captivate critics (earning just a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and even had one of its stars later admitting it just didn’t capture the magic of their previous film because it made more money than Pretty Woman doesn’t mean. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out simply weeks before.)
Nevertheless, by way of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both separately and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as you of Hollywood’s many enduring intimate comedies, just because it absolutely was hardly ever made and had an ending that is different one point.
From the A-listers which were initially designed to star into the film in 1991 to Roberts’ very own experience as a runaway bride, listed below are 20 enjoyable facts you will possibly not learn about Runaway Bride.
1. Though the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride had been really within the works well with over 10 years, with many other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and journalist that is cynical.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to guide the film, nonetheless it fell aside as soon as the very first director brought in had difficulties with the script. On the next several years, movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all within the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock had been enthusiastic about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie along with her suitors–and had been out, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, utilizing the studio liking the concept of a more youthful few. However when Affleck passed, one of many manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. While he adored the script, Gere had one condition the studio had to fulfill before he finalized on to relax and play Ike: “Whenever you can get Julia, i am in.” Roberts, who’d initially been uncertain of this film when she read a past type of the script years prior, made a decision to take another appearance. And following a call along with her old Pretty lady main character, the film movie movie movie stars had been prepared to reunite.
“People have already been looking to get them straight right back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles days. “And abruptly it happened—it ended up being all settled in a week”
4. The phone that is next had been one Gere and Roberts would need to make together, while they had to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to really make the reunion formally complete by directing their love tale yet again. There is one hitch however, as Marshall had guaranteed to just simply take their spouse to Australia for the vacation that is much-needed.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, we should speak to your spouse,” Marshall recalled towards the publication. “They shared with her things such as, ‘ exactly How usually do we get an opportunity to repeat this?’ and, ‘we are going to just just simply take care that is good of,’ so finally we stated, ‘OK, we’ll do so.'”
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly experience that is stress-free the trio, with Marshall noting a modification of his leading man, now equipped with ten years of expertise on sets in accordance with stardom.
“Richard have been very careful on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been a many more prepared to be funny,” the manager stated. “Mostly we chatted inside our very very own small shorthand. All I experienced to complete ended up being yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'”
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. As well as back-end gross on the movie, Roberts received $17 million on her dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie stars shown worthy of these big paydays, as Runaway Bride exposed at # 1 during the package office, attracting a week-end total of approximately $35 million, definitely the opening that is best ever for a Roberts movie during the time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million all over the world), learning to be a blockbuster hit, it received not as much as stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching straight right right back in the film in an meeting with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that miracle was at the movie that is first you cannot make that take place. While there is some wonderful stuff in the film, it surely did not have the miracle for the very first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same sort of delicious miracle ended up being reckless. It had been an unusual film, it absolutely was a new time, she was at an unusual spot, I became in a unique spot.”
8. Manufacturing descended upon the tiny town of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million to the economy that is local upped the actual property market and nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s launch.
“we have actually been completely astonished,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun of this effect the film had around town of simply 3,000 people. “the film ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to many individuals. It place us regarding the map.”
9. As soon as known as “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere vehicle continues to be a place of pride for Berlin, aided by the city holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the twentieth anniversary.
“People can be found in and so they want to hear, ‘Hey do you will get to meet up Richard Gere? what is Julia Roberts like? Can the house is seen by us? Where had been the bridal shop?'” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought guess what happens, we are going to supply the individuals whatever they want and asian women dating sites so they wish to commemorate the movie therefore we are planning to take action up because of its twentieth anniversary.”